WEEK 13

50 years in 10 year increments - What are the important things that are going to be happening in the media and technology. What does the future look like?

I feel like at the rate in which society is progressing with all its technology, by 2068 humanity will be entirely dependent on technology. While there are perks to further developing advanced technology, such as high speed processors and super computers... everyone will use it for literally everything, ranging from the simplest tasks to the most complex. Finding "real" romance, cooking your breakfast, "walking" throughout the house, "driving" a car... Keeping in mind how increasingly dependent we are now, I would imagine that even an activity like cooking your own breakfast would be completed by some sort of machine or robot. This brings up the topic of machines with Artificial Intelligence-- will they have the potential to outsmart humans? The ability to independently think, adapt to changing conditions, and process just like a human being? The concept is brought up (and in opinion, extremely well conveyed) in Pixar's "Wall-E", where it is roughly 2050 human life is no longer even sustainable on what was once Earth. The population has become so dependent on robots to do everything for them, that they've become obese and can't even get up to walk or go to the bathroom. I feel like that is where humanity is headed, if advancement continues at the rate it currently is. The thought of being in a world ruled by machines is rather terrifying overall-- you won't know who is real, who isn't. We lose our unique meaning as an advanced species with an amazing ability to think, problem solve, adapt, and so many other beautiful things.

How would this affect me and my projected field? Since I am strongly leaning toward book illustration, this begs the question-- as books are becoming more available digitally, online or not, the need and demand for physical pieces of literature decreases dramatically. Maybe this may mean less profit for publishing houses and their respective clients. I personally am a traditional artist-- I love putting the blood sweat and tears into the physical piece. The world is becoming more and more digitalized, and that would mean I'd have to make the complete transition to digital art, most likely. In fact, we're basically already there.


How has your personal life changed over 50 years. What do you see for yourself? What does your life look like?

Over the course of the next 50 years, I would mainly hope three things: I am financially stable enough so that I can pay off my crippling student loans from attending Ringling. I hope that I am working in an illustration job I can honestly say makes me happy, and doesn't feel like work at all. And I hope that I am happy with all that I have accomplished in my lifetime.


As your 7 year old self, what would you tell your 20 year old self. What should you do to get ready for your future?

This is going to sound really cliche, but I would say... Don't let anything get in the way of the goal(s) that you set for yourself." Whether it be petty drama, relationships gone sour, losing a fight with love, loss in the family, getting rejected from a job application. Focus on the goal, and you will eventually, surely reach it. Trying hard is important, but don't work yourself to the point of a mental breakdown-- at that point, it's no longer your best. Stop worrying about everything-- what will be, will be. Be spontaneous, be flexible, and don't mentally beat yourself up if things don't go the way you originally planned. Sometimes, things happen for a reason. Don't change yourself for anyone-- embrace how unique you are.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 5 - Witches & Women in Genre: "Aunt Maria"

WEEK 3 - J-Horror: "Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things"

WEEK 2 - Vampires: What Constitutes a Vampire? (Interview with the Vampire)